The goal of Qigong is to harmonize and develop your energy. If you do what you can to harmonize the physical aspects of the practice—your body and the environment—you will achieve your goal more quickly and to a much greater extent. When your body and mind are nourished, rested, calm, and relaxed, you will be in a natural state of equilibrium. Smooth flow of vigorous Qi will be expressed in your health and vitality.
Time and Place
- Practice in a clean, well-ventilated place.
- Practice at a time and in a place where you will not be disturbed.
- Practice regularly—ideally in the same place at the same time.
- Avoid eating meals thirty to sixty minutes before practice. At the same time, do not practice when hungry. Your body should be comfortable and relaxed.
- If you do heavy anaerobic exercise, such as weight lifting, on a day you do Qigong, be sure to stretch before and after to keep the meridians open.
- Get proper rest and sleep.
- Avoid drinks that are ice cold.
- Avoid excess drugs and alcohol.
- Moderate your sexual activity.
- Women: Stop practice during your monthly period, or, if you do practice, shift focus to the middle Dan Tian.